Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day 6 Shopping???

I was doing my early morning stroll looking for something to stuff my face with (found some great corned beef hash), when it started snowing. Damnit, they said it wouldn't snow until late. How was I going to get Sylvia out?  - Shopping of course!  It worked; we braved the array of rain/sleet/snow/wind/puddles and took the subway down to Bloomingdale's on 59th and Lexington. Once inside, Sylvia went one way and I went mine, which was across the street to Brasserie 360 (http://www.brasserie360nyc.com/). I obviously, didn't buy anything and Sylvia bought very little for the amount of time she spent shopping. I don't know how, but she found me at the bar and joined me for a few toddies - just to dry out and warm up of course. Later, we were getting kind of hungry and decided to walk over to First Avenue and go to Bistro Sixty One for lunch ( http://www.bistro61.com/). It was only a three block walk, but we got soaked anyhow, and my umbrella got turned inside out. It was truly a miserable day. We had a nice bottle of Pomeral and Sylvia had Steak Frites (hanger steak and fries) and I had the Lamb Burger. We were both happy with the food, plus our waiter was very entertaining. It's a great place to hang out in the snow. Being fairly dry again, it was time to venture out, but this time we took a cab up to the Mountain Apartment. This time the climb up the stairs wasn't so bad since we had not spent the day walking.

Bistro 61
 Once back at the apartment I knew there was zero chance of getting Sylvia out again - probably the only time all day I was right. However, I wasn't exactly of the same mind. I went looking for a place to sit and watch the football games. It wasn't until the fourth Pub before I could find a seat at the bar. Every place was packed. It's amazing how many people are out and about on a horrible day. It could not have been a more miserable day for walking with the wind, snow, rain - and slush puddles at every street corner, yet the sidewalks were full of people. I watched a little football and then walked up the street and got a whole roasted chicken from a Peruvian place and then back down the street and picked up a couple of slices. We were in for the evening.

No comments: