Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Day 7 Girona, Begur, Palamos

Begur
Got up, had a cup of coffee and drove over to Begur on the Mediterranean coast. It's a little hilltop town of less than 4,000 people that looks over the Med. We parked and walked up to the town center and had the usual cup of coffee at one of the several outdoor cafes. There's an old castle at the very top of a hill that we were not willing to scale, but there were plenty of little shops, cafes, restaurants and hotels to investigate. It's just another centuries old quaint, beautiful little European village.  There's no doubt in my mind that Begur is a magical place that one could easily spend 3 or 4 nights in. I would recommend it to anyone and if I ever came back this way I would strongly consider staying in Begur.

It wasn't lunchtime yet so we drove down the coast to Palamos, a larger fishing town that sits right on the Med. We walked around checking out many of the restaurants before deciding to have lunch at marBionic. We picked it for no apparent reason except it was outside, open, and not crowded (not necessarily good) and served seafood. The restaurants over here are pretty empty at one o'clock and crowded by two. It was hard to decide what to order from an extensive menu so we over ordered. A bottle of local wine, white anchovies in vinegar, octopus, squid plus whatever came with it...terrific, as you can see from the picture. There's was no way we could finish it, but is was really good. Drove back to Girona afterwards and swore we would not eat anything the rest of the day.

Around 8 o'clock I got hungry so for the last time did the walk down the hill, and the climb back up the mountain. Had a few drinks and a little bite to eat. Back at the hotel I got on the internet and made reservations for tomorrow at a hotel in La Seu d'Urgell, a town in the Pyrenees. In fact I made four of them. I guess I was a little impatient with their website. I even ran them out of double rooms. A long telephone conversation with a lady whose English didn't quite mesh with mine corrected this (I hope). We'll find out tomorrow.
Palamos - Anchovies, Octopus, Squid


No comments: