Sunday, February 4, 2018

Day 47 St. Augustine, Florida

I got up this morning and had breakfast at Little Margie's. Ordered Corned Beef Hash and poached eggs with a fresh made biscuit, and it was very, very good. Afterwards I thought I'd better bring back something for Sylvia (compensation for snoring), so I went up the road a piece to Les Petites Pleasures, an authentic French Bakery. I could tell it was authentic because I could see the old baker in the back room making pastries while singing old French songs. And I could really tell it was authentic when I tasted the the Peach Danish and the Croissants. I'm going back tomorrow morning for the Baguettes and something else, that's for sure.

We went downtown before lunch to walk around and see more of the historical sites before the predicted rain started. We spent an hour just wandering around before stopping at Casa Maya for a brief refreshment. Fortified, we did bit more walking and went to MOJO Old City BBQ for Brunswick Stew and Kansas City Burnt Ends. Burnt Ends are hard to find, and these were absolutely great and really hit the spot. As we were leaving MOJO's it started to rain. Undeterred, we had one more stop we wanted to make, The Tini Martini Bar. We had been there years ago and wanted to see if it changed. It didn't, it's still a small bar that makes great Martinis. We managed to get two of the only six seats at the bar and had an enjoyable conversation with two other couples that lived in the Old City. As we left the Tini Bar it was pouring so I got the car and we drove back to the hotel to watch the Super Bowl. It was a good game that was hard to get excited about because I really didn't want anybody to win.

Tomorrow it's off to Bluffton, South Carolina to visit our friends Jack and Carol.
Burnt Ends at MOJO's
The Tini Martini Bar




No comments: