Saturday, October 13, 2018

Day 5 Madrid

There's not much to report today. We left around noon and headed to Retiro Park which is a park similar to Central Park in NYC, but a little smaller and a lot more trees. When we lived in New York going to Central Park on a Sunday afternoon was one of my most favorite things to do, but Retiro Park has Central Park beat by a lot, both in beauty and activity. I think if I lived in Madrid I would spend a least one day a week in Retiro Park, it's beautiful and a perfect people watching venue.

After the park we had a fairly good lunch at Taverna del Volapie. A bottle of wine, a tuna salad, calamari, fried anchovies, cod, and some other fish that I forgot it's name. Again we spent a lot of time walking just like the previous three days, according to my fit watch over 10 miles each day. Then we spent much of the evening sitting at an outdoor cafe just quietly watching people and avoiding any lively discussions. It was a late lunch so we skipped dinner and had dessert at a nearby cafe.

We've been to pretty many cities, but I've never seen so many people walking, shopping, dining as I have in Madrid. And this wasn't in the tourist area, this was the neighborhood where we stayed. These were people who lived here, both young and old. It was a remarkable sight and exciting to be around.  Madrid's way more interesting that I expected.

Below are some pictures from Mercado San Anton just two blocks down the street from where we're staying. Needless to say I go there a lot.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

A real market, not a food court.