Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 10 Les Baux, St Remy

It was supposed to rain today, so after the morning coffee and baguette we headed directly to Les Baux. It's a town with an 11th century castle that sits on top of a rock 650 feet above a valley floor of olive groves and vineyards. We wandered around for almost two hours. It really gives one the sense of what medieval times were like. It's like visiting a moonscape and it is a big tourist attraction - well worth doing and I would go back again. I couldn't get any pictures that did it justice. From Les Baux we drove up to St. Remy and had a great lunch at Bistrot des Alpilles. I had a lamb and vegetable stew over couscous with a very spicey tapenade that was delicious. Sylvia had Niciose salad that had no green beans or potatoes, but it did have anchovies (thank goodness I married someone who hates anchovies). Therefore, I had anchovies for dessert and Sylvia had something really tasty. Of course a Rose sort of came with the meal. We then walked the town and admired all the excellent art shops. It was before three o'clock and fortunately they were still closed for lunch. St. Remy's a neat town and I want to go back again, both to shop and have lunch. We got back to Lourmain after stopping at the grocery store for some pork and cabbage which I made later for dinner. It was raining and we didn't feel like going anywhere. Tomorrow looks like rain again.

1 comment:

Skip said...

Checked out your most recent info on your trip to France. I can tell you are enjoying it. If its raining today I am sure you will be able to find a nice "dry" pub somewhere.
skip