Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 9 Lourmarin

My Lunch
Buying bread by the pound
Garlic

Today was market day and we decided to stay in town, go to the market, visit the cemetery, and check out the Chateau de Lourmarin. The market is from 9 to 1 on Fridays only. And since Lourmarin is a small village, I thought there might be 10 or 15 little stands from which they sell produce, cheese, and maybe some breads. I could not have been more wrong. There must have been at least 50 stands, some of which were an oyster stand with nine kinds of oysters, sea urchins, and snails; a mushroom stand with 20 different types of mushrooms; several fish stands;a garlic stand; herb stands; olive and tapenade stands; 5 or 6 sausage stands each with 20 or more types of sausages; meats of all kinds; many bread and cheese stands; clothing racks everywhere. Plus wines, knifes, pottery, pastries, hats. I can't remember all of them. As we left to go to the market, I asked Sylvia "Why are you taking a bag? We won't buy anything." Obviously I didn't start off the day batting 100 percent. We bought cheese, wine, tapenade, sausage, pate, etc. What a great market and everything was gone and cleaned up by two o'clock. I don't know where all the people came from, the town was packed. Afterward Sylvia went up the street and did the laundry while I had to stay back at the apartment and sample some of the food we bought (top right) - of course you can't eat any of that stuff without a little wine. When we were done with our afternoon chores we walked up the road to the cemetery where we thought Albert Camus was buried. And we did find him. From there we walked over to the Chateau de Lourmarin, a 15th century castle that has been mostly restored and converted into a music research library and venue. It's worth seeing. We then partook in a little refreshment at Cafe L'Ormeau. I started researching the benefits of Pastis, a traditional Provencal beverage. I think I'm beginning to understand why the locals like it. Maybe Fitz and Jerry could have some available whan I get back (hint). We decided to have dinner at Restaurant l'Antiquaire, a Michelin rated restaurant that's just around the corner. It was interesting, well thought out, and pretty good, but it's not a have-to-do. One dish was particularly unusual was a Boudin Noir (blood sausage) over an Apple Tart, and it wasn't bad. That was the end of the day. Tomorrow looks like rain.  

5 comments:

Carol said...

Hey Kids,

Did you mean to say that the menus, etc. are all in French with none in English. That was a bit confusing. I know you are probably sloshed when you write your blog but is your editor too sloshed to edit your writing?

I made bread and it was good; admittedly not as good as what you're eating but I was happy. Thanks for the lesson.

Glad the trip is all you had hoped for.

Anonymous said...

I WILL GET YOU A CASE OF THAT STUFF WHAT EVER IT IS?

JERRY

Bill said...

Oops, sorry I meant no menus in English. Gotta Love that Pastis.

Fitz said...

How about a vodka with a shot of cheap annisette...

Bill said...

That's about what Pastis is