Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 15 Lourmarin


The Sheriff
As today was to be the last full day in Lourmarin, it was spent mostly walking around the town and taking in the atmosphere. The whole town, including every street and alley, could be walked in 20 minutes so several walks were taken. We have spent 12 days in Lourmarin and the one local we could count on seeing everyday was "The Sheriff " (picture). He kept watch over one particuliar corner and would be on one side of the street or the other, although we never actually saw him move. He was never bothered by any of the other cats and dogs that inhabit the neighborhood, of which there were plenty. Anyhow, several walks throughout the day were pleasant, including one up to and around the Chateau and through some vineyards and  olive groves. Lunch was on the terrace at L'Insolite where Sylvia had a pizza and I tried les andouillettes. It is a tripe sausage that I managed to eat about three quarters of when it fell apart and I could actually see what was inside. Sylvia, thinking it couldn't be that bad, tried a little piece and almost had to leave the table. I suppose it was worth a try, but I doubt I'll do it again and I can eat anything. In the evening we met up with Barry and Willa who are tending to some properties (including ours) for some friends of theirs who are away for a couple of months. We went up to the house where they're staying and had wine, cheese, pate, and good conversation. This was really nice since they are Canadians and I didn't have to make of fool of myself slaughtering French. There was also another couple there from Norway and I'm pretty sure among the six of us we solved the immigration problems of the world. Later in the evening Barry, Willa, Sylvia, and I went to La Louche de Buerre for dinner. It was just up the street and we hadn't even known it was there. Even though the place was fairly large by Provence standards it was very cozy and intimate. Their speciality was crepes and that's what we all ordered.  For dessert Sylvia and I each got our own chocolate crepe due to a mixup in communication with the server (yes, my fault). It was a very nice ending to our stay in Lourmarin and we hope to get together with Barry and Willa in the future. Tomorrow morning we leave Lourmarin for Nice and will spend the night near the airport.

2 comments:

Carol said...

TRIPE SAUSAGE. Oh, triple yuck. And here I thought roasted bone marrow sounded awful. If there was any question prior to this trip about who might be the smarter when it comes to menu selection, that question has now been settled forever.

Carol said...

P.S. Hope you guys have a safe and not too frustrating trip back home. Loved reading the blog and especially love "The Sheriff." What a cutie.