Sunday, September 25, 2016

Day 5 Nice

Woke up to another beautiful day. The weather has been just great, a little warmer than normal, but 76 isn't too bad. I went for my normal constitutional one hour walk on the Promenade and people watched. I alsobrowsed around the Flower Market. When I got back to the room Sylvia was at the computer looking not very happy. I asked "What's wrong" and she said "You bought train tickets to the town of Lyon, not the Gare de Lyon train station in Paris". I said "Okay, so I made a mistake, it's only a couple of hundred miles difference." She didn't crack a smile, instead a lively discussion began, mostly one sided. It turned out not to be such a big problem. We walked up to the Nice train station and exchanged them for Paris. It cost a bit more, but hey. stupid is expensive.
Cours-Saleya (Flower Market)

Our Hotel
We didn't do much more than walk around until we got hungry, which didn't take long. "We" decided on pizza and found at a little Italian cafe in an alley. The pizza and a carafe of rose made for a pleasant lunch. We chatted a long time with the Bulgarian waiter, who spoke five languages, but felt he needed to learn more, maybe Spanish - an interesting fella'. Afterwards, Sylvia went one way to shop, and I went the other just because. I wandered into some neighborhoods I hadn't been before and managed to come across a beer. I sat at an outside table and chatted with the waiter there too. It was nice to relax with my beer after screwing up those train tickets. I got back to the Hotel and Sylvia was asleep, so I played around on the computer until it was almost dinner time.

The other day we stopped for a Guiness at Ma Noland's Irish pub over by the Port, and they advertised that the Redskin's game would be on TV at 7pm. It sounded like something different to do since I didn't think the French were interested in American football. and came to find out they weren't. There was one guy watching the ESPN Red Channel, 20 watching soccer and 20 more watching nothing. It was a good Irish joint and we ordered Fish and Chips with mushy peas, and Chicken Goujons. The fish was crispy, huge and perfectly done. The Guinness was pretty good too. We didn't stay long and did a 45 minute walk back to the hotel by way of the Promenade. It's pretty at night. Tomorrow we take the train to Paris.



1 comment:

Carol in Bluffton said...

LOL! Stupid is expensive and we don't even know how expensive Sylvia's shopping trip cost. Can't wait to hear the details when we see you.

Since you didn't stay for the end of the Redskins game, you will be thrilled to know they beat the Giants and Odell Beckham. What a jerk!

Love, Carol