Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Day 7 Paris

First time I've slept late, I didn't get up until 8:30. It feels as though I wasted most of the day. First thing I did was to walk up the block to one of the 4 or 5 boulangeries in the neighborhood and get a baguette and a croissant for breakfast. I had them with eggs and coffee that I made back at the apartment. We didn't go anywhere until eleven when we just walked around the area, and crossed the river past the Louvre, and spent some time in the 2nd Arr. The flowers in the gardens at Le Palais Royal were pretty for this time of year, and the shops were as unusual as they were fascinating. We didn't do much lunch wise, we just had a sandwich with our wine. Since there was laundry to do, we went back to the apartment and Sylvia fought with the washer/dryer. It was one unit and didn't do anything very well, it certainly didn't dry anything. It wasn't a very productive afternoon - at least for me.
Le Palais Royal
Around 7 o'clock we went out to find a nice restaurant for a bit more elaborate French inspired dinner. It took an hour but we (Sylvia) settled on a non touristy looking place called Restaurant AG. I think the AG stands for Alan Geaam, a fairly well known chef who owns two other restaurants. We got there at eight and the place was empty except for one table of two. Asked if we had reservations, we said no and they said only the outside tables were available. Strange, because it didn't look like they were booked, but we took one anyhow. However, by nine thirty the place was packed. I guess even dining at eight thirty is too early.

The dinner was exactly what we had hoped for, three courses and an Amuse-bouche. The pictures didn't turn out so well since we were outside at night, and my descriptions don't do the dishes justice because they are very complex and I can't remember shit. I have no idea what the Amuse-bouche was, because it wasn't on the menu. It was very good though. Stupid me almost broke a tooth trying to eat the dried lentils at the bottom of the dish...idiot. I hope nobody saw me.
Amuse-bouche
The first course (Entree) for Sylvia was a tartar of sea bream with ginger, carrots, grapefruit, etc., and mine was a torte stuffed with duck foie gras, beets, radish, etc.
Entree
For the Second Course (Plat) Sylvia had chicken with cheese, sweet potato, and mushrooms. I had veal cheeks and sweetbreads. Both dishes were excellent and very complex and ornate. The pictures just didn't do them justice so I didn't include them. We were happy with the desserts too, whatever they were.
Dessert
All done for the day.





No comments: