Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 5 Rincon

I hated to leave the Rum Shack for even a few hours, but we did. Fortunately we left early in the day so I figured we could get back in time to get my proper seat. We drove south along the coast to the salt flats at Cabo Rojo on the extreme southwestern part of Puerto Rico. We drove down a dirt road a mile or two trying to get to the lighthouse, but a car just ahead of us got stuck and slipped off the side of the road. So we turned around and on the way back to Rincon, we stopped at a waterfront restaurant we spotted on the way down called El Bohio in the small beach town of Joyuda. I had another whole grilled red fish with butter, onions and garlic but this time they replaced the eyeballs with olives (nice touch). Sylvia had a conch salad with the biggest pieces of conch I’ve ever seen. Both were excellent. Afterwards the waiter threw the leftover fish over the side of the deck to a school of tarpons that were actually begging for food. It was a pretty good stop. Heading back to the hotel we had to make a pit stop and the Ship Wreck Bar and Grill at the Rincon Marina was perfectly located. However, the guy we sat next to was knowledgeable in just about everything in existence, so we left after one drink. We got back to the Lazy Parrot by late afternoon only to discover that someone had taken my seat at the Rum Shack. Bummed, I went back to the room and pouted. I don’t know why Sylvia was smirking? It wasn’t funny. It took awhile, but that inconsiderate jerk finally vacated my seat and I scooted on down and took up my post--I actually can’t scoot anymore. We had that big lunch so we skipped dinner except to split an order of Shrimp Spring Rolls as we watched the remnants of the surfing crowd parade in and out. Again, we didn’t last long and I reluctantly gave up my post and went to bed.

No comments: