Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 19 Birthday

Today was Sylvia's birthday and thinking that after spending yesterday panic shopping, and knowing that tonight would bring a major dinner, I needed a pretty major bike ride. Fairly early in the morning I rode up the road daydreaming the whole way only to realize after 15 miles that I had been riding downwind in a half a gale. Turning around and riding back into the wind I pedaled as hard as I could just to stay upright. Halfway back I decided sustenance was required and stopped at Angelina's Pizza Cafe and ordered a small anchovy pizza and a beer. One beer wouldn't hurt. But as usual, I ended up in a discussion with the bartender and had a few more than one. What a dope! It was a very challenging ride home. The good thing is I was sober by the time I got back. Meanwhile, Sylvia had been at the gym enjoying her new heart rate monitor (I'm such a romantic). We spent the rest of the afternoon walking the area looking for a place we might rent again next year. For a birthday dinner every local we talked to suggested we go to Cafe Tango for a nice meal prepared by a locally renowned Spanish chef. The way everyone hyped the place it had to be good. It would be the first real dinner we had since we got here and promised each other that instead of splitting an entree we would each order our own. We found Cafe Tango with no problem which was surprising since it's so tiny. It had only nine tables and 28 chairs. Immediately we each thought "How can a place this small make any money?" After reading the menu we understood. We started with a glass of champagne and split an appetizer of Serrano Ham and Chorizo Croquette served with fried onions on a brochette...very very good. Since we each had to order our own entree, Sylvia decided lamb chops and I ordered a bone in rib eye with chimichurri. This was unusual for us since we usually opt for something more out of the ordinary. Of course we had a bottle of Temparillo wine. There was way too much food; Sylvia managed to finish one lamb chop and I one-third of the rib eye. We were very full but had to order dessert since we still had wine left. Bread Pudding with ice cream seemed to go well with our wine so that's what we ordered and it was a good decision. We had a very pleasant waiter and our overall experience was good, but not good enough to go back or recommend. Once we got home I was sleep before walking in the door and Sylvia wasn't far behind. She enjoyed her birthday.

1 comment:

Fitz said...

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to Sylvia.