Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Day 15 & 16 Last Day in Tucson Area


Today we decided to do a walk or hike. I wanted to see if I could do an 11 mile hike up to Mt. Wrightson (9500 feet) and Sylvia opted for a 6 mile walk around the Green Valley area. It will become obvious that Sylvia's a lot smarter than me. I thought it should take me about 5 hours so I threw a Snickers bar and a bottle of water in my jacket and headed up the mountain at 9 o'clock. I guess I didn't dress properly because I alternated between sweating and freezing depending where on the mountain I was. I passed a couple of bird watchers and one said that this was his "fifth consecutive day looking for one stupid bird and I haven't seen a damn thing." The only other people I saw the rest of the trip were three Mexicans walking down the mountain from the direction of Mexico. They smiled, nodded and continued on. It could have been a rather touchy situation. At the 2.2 mile mark I passed a memorial that marked the spot where three Boy Scouts died when a snow storm surprised them while camping. It was a weird feeling but I started up towards Old Baldy Shoulder which was only one mile from Mt. Wrightson. The trail got steeper and it narrowed down to about a one foot path cut out of the side of a mountain. It came to an end though at about 8600 feet when the trail turned to solid ice. I should have rented Crampons, but I didn't think they made them to fit penny loafers. After two and a half hours it was time to turn around a mile and a quarter short of my goal. I was getting really cold anyhow. I ate my Snickers and started down. It took almost as long as the walk up. I was back at the car by 1:30 and I had gotten 9 hard miles in, so it was a good trip with unbelievable views. I can understand why people climb mountains. I rewarded myself with a taco, a tamale, the best beans in the world, and several beers at El Sole de Cobre . The picture, taken from about half way up is of the mountain I was trying to get to. I got close to the base. For dinner we went to Trattoria Ragazzi and had a pleasant Italian meal...Sylvia the homemade Ravioli, and me the Lamb Shanks.

Tomorrow we head up to Sedona. It looks like it's going to be cold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really disappointed that you haven't seen any large snakes??? That would be the highlight of your trip, right?

Carol

Anonymous said...

Love the Blog - I have been reading every day! I feel like I'm on the trip in a sense.
Keep up the great comments and I will fire up my scooter for Walmart.

Love Cynth

Unknown said...

Sorry Dad but the only one that was not obvious to was you.

Anonymous said...

People here tell me that the snakes are hibernating. That's the only reason I'm in the woods. I sure hope they're telling the truth.