Friday, October 9, 2015

Day 5 Dingle

The day started off with a great breakfast; a mushroom and blue cheese omelette
Doesn't look like an omelette?
for me, and a savory Eggs Benedict for Sylvia. Right after breakfast we did the highly recommended 30 mile Dingle Peninsula drive. The first thing that amazed me was that fuchsia grow wild around here, the roads are lined with hedgerows of them. The whole peninsula is spectacular, I couldn't even begin to describe it. The history and simple beauty is unlike anything I've seen. The drive's not hard, there's a few narrow, single lane spots, but overall it's pretty easy and with a few stops it takes about three or four hours. One stop not to miss is the Blasket Center which is a museum of sorts that does a great job of describing the history of the Blasket Islands. Another stop that I decided not to miss was the pub at the Ceann Sibeal Hotel in the town of Ballyferriter - okay, by then I was thirsty, big deal. We had the fish chowder with a Guinness and it was pretty okay. Well worth the stop and I'd go back. When we got back to Dingle we walked the town again and had a beer at Murphy's before going to the hotel. By the way, Sylvia doesn't drink beer but she's trying to drink Guinness. I sometimes help her finish it.

In the evening we opted for some pub grub at Paul Geaney's Pub. It was only
Banoffee Pie
seven o'clock so we were a little early for dinner and that was a good thing because it started filling up right after we got there. I had hake and Sylvia went the beef route. Everything was good, but the Banoffee Pie we had for dessert was great. They had the New Zealand, Tsonga rugby match on which I was interested in for a short time. I've never been able to figure out the rules of rugby anyhow. Tomorrow we want to do the Ring of Kerry drive and it's a long day, so we got back to the room by 9:30 and called it a night.





1 comment:

Carol in Bluffton said...

Sounds like you guys are enjoying yourselves. Although it is starting to feel like Bill travels to all these wonderful places so he can get his fill of organ meat. Just speaking for me, I would eat off Sylvia's plate. Love the pics and the commentary as usual is quite amusing. Keep it coming!