Monday, October 12, 2015

Day 8 Galway

It's laundry day and my first job was to find someplace to get the laundry done. It took awhile but there was a little place up the street and he said it would be done by five. There was no desire for a monster breakfast this morning, so we had a scone and coffee and got an early start. Sylvia has a cold and was in no mood to rush around. We had no plans for anyplace special, just a walk around the city and take the sights in. Galway's not a town with a lot of museums, it's mostly about the street atmosphere and the labyrinth of alleyways with shops, pubs, and just great entertainment. We spent 4 or 5 hours walking around Salt Hill, the

eastern part of town, the waterfront, and followed the canals up stream. It's a very fun and interesting walking town. The major problem with it is that it has 504 pubs, and I couldn't go to all of them. I wanted to try though, but Sylvia wasn't up for it and that was a good thing. Although when Sylvia went shopping I did manage to stop in a little pub called Tis Coili. There was about 20 old local guys, a grizzly old dog, and Old Bill - no women. The guys were laughing, singing and just having a ball. The old dog just sat there with a ball in his mouth, and Old Bill just sat there with a pint and smiled. I picked up the laundry on the way back to the hotel and Sylvia said they did a great job.
Walkway between the river and canal

We went out to get something to eat around 7 and stopped for a drink at the Bunch of Grapes. You'd think it specialized in wine...nope, just beer. Sylvia had wine anyhow, and I didn't. Since Sylvia had a cold and wasn't hungry and I was getting tired of fish, we opted for something different and went to a pub on High street called the Front Door Bar. Sylvia ordered soup and I ordered one of my favorites, a prosciutto and arugula pizza cooked crispy. Honestly, I've never had a better pizza anywhere. I ate way more than I wanted to. Afterwards we just went back to Jury's, had a Jameson's and crashed. Tomorrow we're planning on driving down to see the Cliffs of Moher.
Low tide and boats grounded

No comments: