Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Day 14 Boise, Idaho

I got up and decided I would again suffer through the free hotel breakfast. I usually hate them, but it's so easy that I do them anyhow. This time I was totally surprised, they had Miso soup and sticky rice with seaweed and all the fixings. I had two bowls. Sylvia wanted to hangout at the hotel this morning, so after breakfast I went for a walk through the park and stopped at the Boise Art Museum. It's not a bad little art museum, very entertaining. Afterwards, I went back to the hotel and Sylvia and I finally got the Basque lunch we wanted at Bar Gernika, It's a little local bar that seats 30 at most. Sylvia had a Solomo sandwich (marinated pork and pimientos), and I had a Lamb Dip, just like a French Dip only with thinly sliced roast lamb. We both had Croquetas, which are made from butter, chicken, milk, flour, and onion. Fabulous! We walked around a bit afterward because we were too stuffed to sit down anywhere. I couldn't possibly have dinner...could I?

Yep, more food. We read a very good review of a restaurant up the street called Juniper. The menu looked pretty good and it had some items that weren't so heavy. So off we went. If I wasn't so stuffed I would have loved to get the Pork Cheeks and Gnocchi's. Instead I got the Spicy Pork Ramen which had Duck Confit, poached egg, mushrooms, etc. It was good, but it wasn't the Pork Cheeks and Gnocchi. Sylvia had a Roasted Cauliflower, Grilled Kale and Fried Egg Salad with crispy prosciutto and fried capers. She loved it and wants me to make it. It looks too hard.
Juniper Dinner

Boise's a great not so little residential city with about an 8 block by 8 block really nice dining and shopping district. There's at least 30 to 40 restaurants I'd like to try. There's the Boise River that runs through it and a 25 mile bike path that runs next to the river. I understand why so many young people are moving here. It's a wonderful up and coming city.

Tomorrow it's off to Portland, Oregon.

No comments: