Monday, January 29, 2018

Day 33 through 41 Seaside, Florida

Left Lafayette in the middle of a rain storm. It was only a thin line passing through, but that line was with us the entire six hours it took us to get to Seaside. It was not a pleasant drive. We rented a condo for a week in Sea Grove, but we got there a day early to spend the night with my brother Randy and sister in law Carol. We had a really nice evening hanging out with them except Randy made me drink way too much scotch...and vodka...and wine. A good time was had by all.

On Tuesday we checked in the condo and went to Great Southern for a drink and then met Randy and Carol for dinner at Johnny McTighe's.

On Wednesday we had lunch at Wine World and dinner at Surfing Deer which was really good.

Thursday we met Randy and Carol at lunch for oysters at Shunk Gulley Oyster Bar which had the best oysters I've had in years and they were only $8 a dozen. For dinner we went to the Cafe Thirty-A for happy hour and the $5 martinis. Also earlier in the day I dropped my laptop and broke it. I went to Best Buy and got another one. I tried to blame it on something besides me, but I couldn't figure out how.

Friday was Sylvia's birthday so we went and picked up my new laptop and stopped at Local Catch for a light lunch. I guess I got a better birthday present that she did, at least more expensive. Then later stopped at the Craft Bar for a snack. Steven the bartender made me a couple of innovative bourbon drinks.

Saturday was an easy day. We only went to see Neil at AJ's in Grayton Beach. Had a pleasant lunch there and a good chat with Neil. AJ's is only a year old, but it's huge and is a really interesting restaurant to check out.

Sunday's always a busy day on 30A. We met Randy and Carol at my favorite brunch place Trebeache. Sylvia had the most interesting item, three slices of bread pudding french toast with whipped cream, berries, and a drizzle of honey caramel . I was extremely envious. Randy had grits and grillades. We all had the bottomless Mimosas, probably too many. Afterwards we did what we do every Sunday down here, stop at the Red Bar to see the local band Dread Clampitt and that of course meant more Mimosas. We watched the first set then crossed the street to Chiringo. At least we got off the Mimosas and switched to beer. The final stop was Local Catch to see another group, The Forrest Williams Band. They're terrific and always worth seeing, probably our favorite in the whole area. Needless to say, that was the end of my evening, at least as far as I can recall.

On Monday, our last day on 30A, we stopped at Bud and Alley's Pizza Bar to see Judy and have a delicious clam pizza. In the evening we met Randy and Carol the Craft Bar for $5 hamburgers and more beer. We had a good visit on 30A and are considering coming back next winter for January and February. Tomorrow we head to Cedar Key, Florida. It was really nice spending time with Randy and Carol





2 comments:

Frony said...

Where will the two of you celebrate Sylvia's birthday?

Anonymous said...

Mr. Jack is drooling over your oysters. They are so expensive here he hardly ever orders them. Somehow my money is on Sylvia getting the better birthday present after all is said and done. LOL. You and your laptop need to find a better way to bond together! Have fun on 30A. Xoxo Carol