Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Day 43 Cedar Key, Florida

It was beautiful day in Cedar Key and, I like a dope didn't take advantage of it and do something outdoorsy. Instead we just walked around town and ate and drank...again. We did watch some watermen take their work boats out of the water onto their trailers. The boats are unlike anything I've seen before. The steering is from the very tip of the bow and the outboard engine is in a well just behind the helmsman. The stern is completely open to the water and it's rigged for claming, oystering, and trawling. I talked to one of them and he said it's rigged that way because they mostly go backwards when working. I couldn't figure that one out, so I went for drink to contemplate things.

I was dying for more clams so we got an early start and went to Tony's Seafood for an 11 o'clock lunch. The place is rather famous and also very small with only 40 seats. Sylvia had steamed clams and I had the clam chowder which is unbelievably good. We had the early lunch so we could stop by the Big Deck for more steamed clams. We each got two dozen. Yum! After a brief rest we stopped at the Black Dog Bar before going to Steamers for dinner. Worn out with seafood Sylvia had beef and I had chicken neither of which we could come close to finishing.

Tomorrow we head to Mt. Dora to spend a couple of days with our friends from 30A, Toni and John.
Cedar Key workboat

No comments: