Thursday, January 11, 2018

Day 22 Garberville, California

Sylvia was still feeling a little funky this morning so I went solo for an early morning breakfast.The diner next to the commercial fishing docks seemed like a good idea, and it turned out to be a perfect choice. Fish, eggs, potatoes, and biscuit, what could be better? I had four choices of fish and I picked snapper, I have no idea what a Pacific snapper is, but it was good.

Around 9 we got started south for a relatively short drive to Garberville. And again the radar showed no rain and yet again it rained all day. The drive was interesting because we took a couple of side roads through three National Redwood Forrests. I've never seen a Redwood and I was totally amazed, they're magnificent. It's good they're not in Maryland because the utility company's would cut them down so they wouldn't interfere with their power lines. Anyhow, we got to Garberville in good order and took 20 minutes to walk around the whole town. Like most of the towns we've seen up here in northern California they're old: like from the very early 1900's, pretty much run down, but still cool. One interesting town we drove through was Eureka. The old part of town is gentrified and really worth a visit. I'd like to spend a day there (This is just a reminder to myself, not that I have trouble remembering).

Snapper and Eggs
For dinner there was only two places worth eating, we picked Calico's Cafe. I don't know how to describe it but, Sylvia had Spaghetti Bolognese and I had Tamales, and we drank a local Pinot Noir. There was a guy on the balcony playing the fiddle, he never finished a song, or took a break. There's no way to characterize the place. It was pretty good though.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that is a good looking breakfast